Ms Shona Smith
While the Principal Mark Shanahan is on a well-earned sabbatical
from 15 March to 17 June 2013, Ms Shona Smith will be Acting Principal.
Waitakere College is a successful, co-educational New Zealand Secondary School located in Henderson in the heart of West Auckland.
The three key elements of the Waitakere Way - Learning, Caring and Respect - guide our planning to ensure that each student is able to 'be the best they can be'.
As a college, we are ahead of the national averages for Merit and Excellence awards in Level 1, Level 2 NCEA and Scholarship in Level 3.
Courses on offer cater for the variety of student needs, from local students' learning an international language to international students learning English for pathways to university.
Initiatives for Year 9/10 Students
- Weekly report cards to update academic progress
- Gifted and Talented programme 'Shine" for very able students
- Targeted literacy classes to assist students
- Accelerated programmes to do NCEA
- Sports Academies
- Opportunity to compete in many sporting and cultural activities
Initiatives for Year 11/12/13 students
- Achievers' Assemblies acknowledging seniors who achieve in their year group
- After school homework centre with tutors
- Monitoring and Mentoring of NCEA progress throughout each year to ensure success
- Gateway programme to apprenticeships and tertiary institutions
- Leadership opportunities via sports, mentoring and cultural activities
"Achievement for All".